Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Romancing the Pole for Improved Body awareness and posture

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/306796/romancing-pole

 

Romancing the pole

By ROWENA BAUTISTA-ALCARAZ

March 1, 2011, 1:20am

Among the many benefits of pole dancing include flexibility building confidence, improved body awareness and posture, and muscle strength. (Photo by RICHARD VIÑAS)

Among the many benefits of pole dancing include flexibility building confidence, improved body awareness and posture, and muscle strength. (Photo by RICHARD VIÑAS)

 MANILA, Philippines – Clad in a simple Madonna-printed black top and drawstring pants, Ciara Sotto-Oconer walked into Movements Dance Studio without fanfare.  She merrily greeted everyone at the reception area before turning around to see her guests and gave out a warm smile.  As she walked towards one of the empty couch right next to me, she immediately asked, with excitement ringing in her voice: "Have you seen it?"

Ciara was referring to the ongoing musical Rent where she plays alternate to Sheree Bautista essaying the role of Mimi Marquez, an AIDS-afflicted dancer.  In the show's original script, Mimi was a lap dancer.  The people behind its Manila restaging turned her into a pole dancer much to Ciara's advantage.

"It was Gian Magdangal who suggested I audition.  At first he asked me to audition for Maureen's role but after he saw me rehearse with the pole, sabi niya, "Mimi ka na lang!"," remembers Ciara.

It was in 2006 when Ciara first tried pole dancing while she was in Las Vegas.  She was then part of a musical production entitled Fever.  While there, she, along with the rest of the cast were required to maintain a certain weight for the show.  Failure to comply meant paying fine.

"When I arrived there I was 125 pounds and I had to be 120 kasi ang liit ko and I look smaller on stage with all the weight.  But I was really getting sick of the gym.  I'd dance all day pero ayaw ko talaga ng gym kaya naghanap ako ng ibang workout.  So I tried pole dancing which lasted for only two session," she recalls.

Ciara stopped attending sessions after finding out that she was in the wrong crowd - the strippers crowd, that is!

"I'm not judging them ha kasi ang gagaling naman nila... Nahiya naman ako.  They were talking about their job in front of me.  I'd hear [the names of the clubs] "Little Darlings" and "Rhino" and I was like 'Oh my gosh!'  And then one of my classmates asked me where I worked and I said 'Oh it's in this tower that hasn't opened yet.  Akala siguro nila stripper ako," she chuckles.

Downplaying sex appeal

Ciara's second encounter with the pole happened after she came back to Manila in 2009.  "I was doing Bikram Yoga and attending belly dancing classes in Movements when I learned that they were also offering pole dancing classes.  I signed up and I found that they teach it differently. That it's more on strength and core, fitness talaga!  It's not for seduction.  It's not for sensual dancing," she relates.

Toning down it's overall sex appeal, pole dancing is described as a form of performing art, a combination of dancing and gymnastics.  It can be used as both an aerobic and anaerobic workout while advanced pole dancing requires significant strength, flexibility and endurance.

In the Philippines, pole dancing started gaining recognition as a form of exercise around five years ago, albeit slowly, as dance schools started offering classes.

"Iba kasi ang connotation ng marami about pole dancing - masagwa, pang-club, malaswa.  I want to change that."

And she did!  Ciara has started teaching the dance herself at the studio where she learned it from.  She handles intermediate classes but teaches mostly beginners.  And the enthusiasts are growing in numbers judging from their attendees.

"For me, every girl should experience pole dancing because it's a symbol of strength for a woman.  It's not like ballroom where you need a partner.  A woman doesn't need a partner to dance.  Her partner is the pole.  It's liberating!" exclaims Ciara.

Among the many benefits of pole dancing as shared by many of its practitioners include: Increased flexibility, improved body awareness and posture, builds confidence, and strengthens muscles.

“I have students who are big and kaya nila yung sarili nila.  As I’ve said, pole dancing is for your strength, stamina, and toning your muscles.  There are certain poses that you can do in one sitting if you are strong and if you have high tolerance for pain because it’s really painful.  Magkakaroon ka ng maraming pasa dahil may instances na mauuntog ka sa pole and masakit siya lalo na sa inner thigh when you do the gripping exercises,” she cautions.

However, Ciara admits not being confident enough when she was just beginning to share her knowledge of pole dancing.

“At first I was scared.  I found it hard to explain to them how I was doing a certain pose.  In the beginning, there was a part of me that got frustrated that I couldn’t explain it better, but now I’m comfortable.”

She adds,”I realized, while I am teaching them, I am also educating myself because I research everything and it also helps me understand the movements.”

Setting her priorities

As Ciara’s schedule is packed until March 6, teaching her most favorite dance is on hold, at least until after she finishes her stint in Rent.

Sabi nga ni Daddy, ang dami ko daw career.  Okay lang dahil nag-e-enjoy naman ako,” she tells.

When asked whether the well-loved Senator Tito Sotto has seen her peform as Mimi on stage, Ciara got anxious. At the time of the interview, Ciara’s Dad has not seen her perform.

Siniraan kasi ni kuya,” she says in jest.  “You know what Rent is about, it has an adult theme, may sex, may drugs, may gay and lesbian relationships so baka ma-scandalize siya.  I don’t know if he’s ready to see me kind of having sex on stage,” she says with a laugh.

As for her better half, Joe, Ciara couldn’t be more happy to get his approval.  Ciara got married early last year.

“He is really understanding and he supports me in everything.  He knows this is one of my passions and he believes that being married doesn’t mean we should lose our individuality,” she ends.

 

Advertisement:  www.SpinalQ.com , spinal q, rehab jacket, L0456, Q Brace, Posture brace,

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment